Wednesday 11 June 2014

Today's a great day to eat cake.

June 11.

It's my birthday. Phew, I've made it through yet another year of the madness and chaos that I call my world. It's a huge bonus knowing that I'm improving every year, each birthday now brings a time for reflection, for taking stock of all the great things that have happened this year, and for giving thanks.

I am not one that usually celebrates my birthday, for a number of personal reasons, so this year I decided to meet up with some women that I know only through Facebook, instead.

People that are not in my usual sphere of friends, people I am not really sure what they look like,or what their real name is, virtual confidants who's sense of humour, or straight talking attitude has attracted me on FB.

At first I forgot it was my birthday when I arranged to meet for coffee today, and then I thought, why not? What better day to make new friends than on your birthday?

We chatted about kids, and diets, healthy eating and even the flu that's working its way through town. We laughed and smiled and found we have things in common. We connected. Not virtually, but in reality. 

The food was delicious, the coffee hot and the conversation flowed.

I also ate cake.  Without one ounce of guilt. That is a really big step for me. I usually beat myself up about any thing I put in my mouth that isn't in the plan.. I mentally turn a treat into such a negative experience, that my body feels bad just eating it!

Not today. I tasted every mouthful of that sweet gooey chocolatey delight, felt the icy cold ice cream clash with the warm cake... It was heaven. I have worked hard for that cake. I have earned it. Because now my mind knows that, so long as I work hard in the gym, and exercise regularly, I can eat anything I want, without guilt. Without negativity. 

Today, I had my cake and ate it too.

Thanks girls  ( and Jimmy) for a wonderful afternoon, for the positive conversation, for the gift of friendship.

Aside from the sugar headache I have given myself, I am feeling on top of the world.

Happy birthday to me!! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment