Monday 2 June 2014

Weekend housework, metaphorically speaking...

Monday, for once I am very glad to see you..

I spent the whole of my weekend, cleaning one of our work accommodation units. Yep. ALL weekend. The whole of Saturday and the whole of Sunday taken up with cleaning up someone else's mess.

At first, I was eager to get the job done, then, As time wore on and I realised the enormity of the task, I got cross.  I started frowning, grumbling away at myself about the situation. It was also about then that I became distracted.  I was starting a job, then leaving it to do another, coming back to the first one and leaving it again.. I had lost focus, swearing under my breath and getting angry. I was achieving nothing.

After a time, I realised that I could either suck it up and get the task over and done with, or I could spend more time grumbling and moaning about it. Once I decided to roll up the sleeves, take a big breath and get my head back in the oven, the job seemed to finish up more quickly. The end result was amazing. 

Thinking about it last night, I came to realise that my attitude yesterday could easily be compared to my reactions about getting healthy.. I approach everything with gusto, then I get cross that I'm not getting results fast enough, and start looking for quick fixes.

But, as we all know, to finish cleaning a unit, one has to be methodical. Take all the steps in the right order to make sure it's complete. You wouldn't wash the floors before you swept, would you?

Are you one of those people who stuff things under cushions, hide ironing in the cupboard, magazines under the bed? Are you also one of those people who eat in private? Sneak a chocolate when no one can see? Clean up your lifestyle like you would clean the house, room by room, methodically. Clean up, clear out. 

Eating well, drinking lots of water, exercising and getting plenty of sleep. That is what works, that is what will clean your personal unit effectively. Just roll up your sleeves, take a deep breath and know that you will do it. You will win this battle. 

We all know that using mildew spray in the shower, unless you clean it continually, the mildew returns. Same as using the latest fad meal replacement, unless you choose to pay $350 a month for the rest of your life, that weight is gonna return.  You have to create for yourself, a workable routine, not one that makes you feel hungry and sick or tired, but one that fills you with energy and vitality. A routine that allows you to be the best you can be, happy and healthy, and one where the money stays in your pocket for more meaningful pursuits. 

Loosing weight is really about our mental approach, the internal dialogue we have with ourselves. "Go girl you can do it, scrubbing these tiles for three hours on your hands and knees is a fantastic workout for your upper arms"- or "FFS the people that live in this house are just pigs, look at this mess!!" You choose your attitude. It's up to you, to keep positive, keep that internal dialogue upbeat and encouraging. What you declare, you achieve, so make sure your goals are always positive! Feel free to borrow my mantra if you need to..  I'm thin and healthy, successful and wealthy. :)

Get your head in the game, get your thoughts straight, plan why you want to loose weight, think of all the great things you will gain by loosing weight, and keep your focus on the end result.

It may take a little longer, but getting your personal space clean and clear, bright and sparkling, is a job worth doing properly. 

And you alone, have the power to get it done. Now. Monday. No better time to start. 


No comments:

Post a Comment